Courses that can lead to permanent residency in Australia

At the start of every financial year, the Department of Home Affairs in Australia provides a list of occupations in demand. While the circumstances of every student are different and will need to be individually assessed, these courses can serve as a guide to finding a pathway to permanent residency. 

In order to live and work in Australia on a permanent resident visa (PR), there are various options for candidates. Three of the most common pathways are;

  • Employer Nomination Scheme
  • Skilled Migration Program
  • State Nomination
  • Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme

Students aiming to settle in Australia permanently should consider selecting the right course which eventually will lead to a profession in demand in the coming years. All the qualifications and work experience need to be assessed by relevant bodies in order to be considered as relevant to the chosen occupation.

To provide you with examples, here are some of the sought-after courses and jobs with strong PR prospects for 2019:


Agriculture and poultry farming

  • Flower grower
  • Sugar cane grower
  • Poultry farmer
  • Pig farmer
  • Mixed crop farmer
  • Dairy Cattle Farmer


  • Cook
  • Pastrycook
  • Chef
  • Winemaker
  • Accommodation and Hospitality Managers



  • Optometrist
  • Paediatrician
  • Orthoptist
  • Occupational therapist
  • Dietitian



  • Early Childhood (Pre-primary School) teacher
  • Primary teacher
  • Private tutor or teachers
  • Middle school teacher


Building and construction

  • Construction estimator
  • Construction project manager
  • Project Builder
  • Architectural, building and surveying technicians



  • Aeronautical Engineer
  • Agricultural Engineer
  • Biomedical Engineer
  • Building and Engineering Technician
  • Chemical Engineer
  • Civil Engineer


Information technology

  • ICT Customer Support Officer
  • ICT Security Specialist
  • Software Engineer
  • Software and applications programmers       
  • Telecommunications Network Planner


This list is only a guide and no guarantee of permanent residency. To find out more and get assistance with the specifics of your situation, please get in touch. Contact our student support team member at

Useful Links:

Skilled Independent visa (subclass 189): What are points and how many do you need?

Are you looking for permanent residency in Australia?

Related blogs

Subscribe to our newsletter